We would LOVE to have you join the association! Why join? Here are just a few reasons…
- Opportunity to become a Certified Tour Guide (CTG) or Accredited Hospitality Professional (AHP) by going through our certification program. CTG and AHP members are eligible to receive all appropriate meeting planner and tour operator work leads and referrals.
- Invitation to attend association-sponsored educational workshops focused on helping our members to become better tour guides and field staff.
- Invitation to attend various networking mixers and social functions which are not only fun, but can also lead to work opportunities.
- Invitation to participate in association-sponsored familiarization “FAM” Tours, which are a prime learning opportunity which will help you become an expert in the area(s) we feature on the FAM tours.
- Invitation to attend our meetings. Special guest speakers from the local San Diego tourism industry are featured as a part of each meeting, which is another prime learning opportunity for our association guides.
- Listing on our website including a bio, photograph (optional), and a social media link of your choice.
- Website listing for our business members which includes a business website link and a membership roster.
- Official association business cards with your own personalized information on them are available for purchase by members.
- Official San Diego Professional Certified Tour Guide Association logoed name tag (for certified tour guides who have passed the tests)
Meets all membership eligibility requirements, but has not taken any part of the certification examination.
Accredited Hospitality Professional (AHP)
Meets all eligibility requirements and has passed Part I, Sections 1-3 of the certification examination pertaining to airport meet & greets, shuttles, dispatching, registration and hospitality desks, dine-a-rounds, and guiding basics. Eligible to receive leads for airport work, dispatching, shuttles, hospitality desk, and dine-a-rounds. AHP members are not eligible to receive leads for step-on tour guide work.
Certified Tour Guide (CTG)
Has passed all parts and sections of the certification written examination including Part I, Sections 1-3 (see above), as well as Part II, which covers tour information pertaining to San Diego city, county, Coronado, La Jolla, historical facts and attractions. We also be require two city tour ride-alongs as well as an oral examination where our certification committee will take prospective guides on a motorcoach to allow them to present a 15 minute (pre-assigned) portion of an overall San Diego city tour. Guides will be given a pass/fail for the exam.
Any individual, business or corporation that supports the goals of the San Diego Professional Tour Guide Association.
Is any individual retired from the industry yet desires to maintain contact with association members. (Typically a former general member of the San Diego Tour Guide Association who is no longer working the industry.)
General membership status shall be granted to all those who are currently employed (or recently employed) in the San Diego region as a tour guide and/or as field staff for a tour operator, destination management company or tourism related business.
Written proof of employment and/or letters of recommendation by two San Diego Professional Certified Tour Guide members in good standing may be required. For more information or questions, please check with the membership secretary when applying for membership.
Honorary and Business classifications are exempt from the proof of employment or letters of recommendation requirement.
General or Business Members Application
Pre-qualifications are required prior to applying as a member, please contact the Membership Secretary or call 619.663.7705.
Membership Application Form
Annual Fees: $75 individual members for initial year, $100 business members for initial year. Subsequent renewal rates are lower. Membership term is from January to December of each year.
Applications will be verified and approved by the membership secretary, who then advises as to where dues, application, and proof of employment or letters of recommendation are to be mailed.